| Butterfly||REALiTi (Demo)|| Go (Blood Diamonds Remix)|
- Not to be confused with the reworked and finished version of the same song, Realiti.
"REALiTi (Demo)" is a song by Canadian recording music artist Grimes, originally slated for release on her scrapped solo fourth album, released on March 8, 2015 as a single and thank you to her fans in Asia. A reworked and finished version of the song was later announced to be included on her 2015 album Art Angels. The demo is featured as a bonus track on the CD edition of the record, and the album version is not featured on the vinyl edition.
"REALiTi" was originally recorded for the follow-up to Grimes' 2012 breakthrough album Visions, before she scrapped the whole record. The song was then later released on March 8, 2015, and Grimes gave the following description of the track on YouTube: "This song was never finished. It's a demo from the lost album, recorded early 2013. I lost the Ableton file, so it's not mixed or mastered. I tried to doctor the MP3 into a listenable state, but it was poorly recorded in the first place and never meant to be heard by anyone, so it's a bit of a mess, haha".
Despite being only a demo, "REALiTi" received critical acclaim. MTV says that after "listening to the song, you'll be wondering why Grimes left the track off her album". Stereogum agreed, saying that REALiTi was "a very good new song" and that "if she's willing to toss great songs like these into the ether, then when is she coming with something official?". The Atlantic notes that the song "is as good as anything on the radio" and goes on to claim that "the song is fabulous" and adds that the recording-quality issues don't prevent the song from sounding better than anything on the radio. Pitchfork Media claims the song is the best new Grimes release since Visions and calls it a "compelling step forth", which "absorbs EDM and trance in Boucher's seemingly infinite palette of sound". Furthermore, Consequence of Sound named REALiTi the 5th best song of 2015.
The reaction to the song online was so positive that Grimes said she would consider adding it to her new album, although she believes she has "better". The announcement of the tracklisting to Art Angels revealed that she ultimately complied and added the song to the album, both a new version and the demo which is included in the CD edition.
"REALiTi" peaked number 30 on the US Hot/Dance Electronic Songs chart (Billboard).
- ↑ http://pitchfork.com/news/58769-grimes-shares-video-for-previously-unheard-track-realiti/
- ↑ http://www.mtv.com/news/2099662/grimes-realiti-video/
- ↑ http://www.stereogum.com/1787656/grimes-says-that-she-isnt-scrapping-music-because-of-negative-reactions/news/
- ↑ http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/03/grimes-new-old-song-suggests-her-lost-album-was-incredible/387217/
- ↑ http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/17367-grimes-realiti/
- ↑ http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/11/top-50-songs-of-2015/6/
- ↑ http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/26/grimes-shares-album-release-date-new-music-and-surreal-video
- ↑ http://www.billboard.com/artist/303162/Grimes/chart?f=1234